Monday, May 7, 2012
Before we were able to actually come to Nauvoo, there was alot of finishing up and saying good luck stops we got to make. Getting the house ready for Emily and Cameron to move in was a big job. We went through every closet and cranny in the house and dejunked. Some went to the family and some went to the DI for tax write offs. We were lucky enough to have Mandy come and stay with us for a bit during this time and they were in the process of buying their first home in Heyburn Idaho. It was fun to be able to pass off things from our home to theirs. With most of the kids as they set up their homes we were able to help them out a little with the decorating. It was funny when I asked Maria later if it bothered her that I gave so many things to Mandy. She immediately replied "no, cause we all went through it...but I really liked the apple green catapillar that I gave her. " Too funny. For those of you who dont know what that is, its a glass cracker holder on wire legs. Sometimes I just cant help but buy stuff like that. Daddy says I look for the wierdest stuff in the store and thats what I buy! I'm glad they like it too. I have been accused of buying my kids love at times, but I have to defend myself and say that I get immense joy from spending money on them. What else is there in the world that is more fun than seeing the delight in someone you loves eyes when they get a surprise spoiling! Anyways, we took literally bags upon bags of stuff to the DI. We worked morning to night on the days when we could and finished up just a few days before we took off. As we were going through closets we tried to set out what we wanted for Nauvoo. Mandys parents, our dear friends, took 4 bins of stuff to Mikes new house for us to pick up there. By time we really got the car packed for the trip, we knew that we would have to unload some of the stuff at the kids houses along the way. Guy kept checking the wheel wells on the car to make sure we had at leat a little clearance!
It was kind of sad to take all the family pictures and stuff down off the walls. I did that early so that I wouldn't get sad about leaving. It was hard in a way to say goodbye to all of the people and places that were such a part of us, that was until I came to understand that I was NOT leaving any of it behind. Maybe I would not be seeing them all physically but I was taking the things that I loved and needed along with me. I had a way to see them and talk and with that and my testimony, they were coming with me. This mission is the start of our retired life together, but at least for now, we are all still here on earth together and that was something to celebrate! I really tried to get everyone to understand before we left that that was how I viewed things. I tried not to cry and think we really did pretty good. Everyone knew how important it is that daddy and I keep growing and learning and that this was our next step. We are forever in filled with gratitude that we have such amazing children (that includes spouses) and grandkids who support us in rightousness. We are so proud of each and every one of them for the attitude they shared with us of support and love of the gospel. We are indeed the most blessed people on earth and have the riches of eternity right here today!
I need to interrject a little reality into this right now. I have to admit that at times the cleaning and packing and stress of getting it all done left us exhausted by night time. Guy took to his coin collecting during this period with a frenzy. He collected enough coins for all of his grandchildren to have a set one day. That meant that daily I would catch him sneeking off to the bank...sometimes a couple of times a day to get new coins! Everywhere we went he was getting and exchanging coins. On the other hand, by 8 at night he would find me on the computer watching a new show I had found called IRIS and the second series of it called Athena. It was a cia type movie that was filmed in Korea and so I watched the entire 40 episodes reading the subtitles in English! I am amazed how helpful that actually was to me in gaining an understanding of the political problems that the North and South Koreans face right now. When we first arrived here in Nauvoo, Elder Chaus a seventy from Korea and his wife were here to speak to us. He actually was trained as a body guard there and so I could relate to who he was. I visited with his wife and told her I had watched the movie and she laughed to think of her husband in that role. I think that first week of visiting with her and the humble normal sweet people that they were helped me to see that in Gods eyes we are all equal no matter who we have been professionally here on earth. It took me a week or so in awe of eveyone that was called on a mission here, hearing the amazing things they have done to go from awe and inferiority to a place of belonging. Not one of these wonderful people bragged or did anything to let us know how amazing they were. Each one of them we found out in a round about way. I thought I had died and gone to heaven to be able to rub sholders with such humble obedient Zion people.
On March 30th Guy flew with his parents to Aunt Jackies 80th surprise birthday party in Burley Idaho. It was fun for him to get to go with his parents. Mike and Mandy had just moved into their new home in Heyburn the week before and so everyone stayed there. Mike was able to go to the party with them too and met John Wright who is a second cousin and found out the he also owns a home on the river in Heyburn. They were able to spend a night with Jackie in her home and then Jackie came to Mikes to visit too. Its nice to know that Mike and Mandy will have family around and to spread out our family relationships a little farther. It was also a special time for Guy to be able to be with his folks before we left. Jerry and Glenn also got to visit with Maria and her kids. It was the first time they got to see baby Caleb! Everyone came home feeling like it had been a wonderful trip.
I got to take Cindys boys to Tillamook one day to visit Jennifer. She took me to see a home that they were thinking of purchasing. It was a fun trip. I am so thankful that Cindy and Jens kids are such wonderful friends. Its awesome to have cousins close enough to know well. I was amazed at the older boys joking together. They are on the edge of becoming teenagers. Jake just got a brand new Camero a few nights before the trip and the boys were talking about it. It occured to me that in a coupld of years these boys would be able to drive themselves to the beach to hang out with each other! I also felt really bad about not having enough carseats in my car to be able to take Evlynn with us. She cried when we left because she wanted to go play with Coleman. When we got to Tillamook and eveyone got out of the car, little Cole cried too cause Evlynn didn't get to come. These kids truly love each other. Way neat.
All of the people closest to us that we love came to watch us be set apart. Glenn Earl Hill, Grandpa, and grandma were there, and Glenn helped in the setting apart! President Richard Hansen called us on our mission and helped with the paper work but he was called as a seventy during that conference and Crismon Lewis was called in his place and so he set us apart. President Lewis took over being Bishop of the Young Adult ward after Guy was released and we have known him for many years. He is an amazing man. He set us apart for "6mths to 24 months" that the desires of our hearts may be fulfilled in serving the Lord. He told me that there would be thousands of people who would be blessed by my mission and that I would know why we had come to Nauvoo before we left. He also blessed me tht any concerns and cares that I had would resolve themselves and that I did not need to worry about any of them any longer. He also blessed me with patience and health. He blessed Guy that the past mission feeelings he had of serving fulltime before would come back. He blessed him with good health and that past generations and generations to come would honor him for how he served and lived his life. People would be drawn to him because of his kindness and leadership. That his past experiences with leadership would help him know how to lead them. He would learn to know and understand the ordinances better. He also blessed us that we would grow together as a couple in ways we never dreamed of before and that before his mission was over that he would get down on his knees in thankfulness for his dear companion. He also blessed us that we would meet people and make friendships that would last for an eternity.
After we were set apart Pres Lewis needed to leave. We had a family testimony meeting. I bore testimony to how proud I was of our children and that we were leaving with not tears of saddness, but tears of joy. We were not leaving them but taking them with us. Just like the young kids had programs that helped them learn and grow, that this was the next step in helping us grow. Jake once said that "Sister Hill would give anything for her children, but watch out if your cross her family", which is true but hopefully I will learn to love others as much as I do my family while we are gone.Joseph Smith recieved the Book of Mormon, which many think of when they hear the story, that it was the most important thing that happened. But what He really learned that night and what the angel came to him again and again until he could comprehend it was, that the earth would be cursed and of no avail if the sealing powers were not returned to the earth. Its those sealing powers that save Gods children, otherwise the whole earth will be for nothing. Its those ordinances we were called to do on our mission. I know that these people who have died are still alive. I saw my Dad come for my Mother. I dont have alot of active members in my family, other than my own family, and so this will be a time for me to do a great service for my dead relatives. They are good people and I love them too. When I was reading Pres Condies book about Russel M Nelson, in the 3rd chapter I found out that we were cousins. He has the same great grandfather that I did. Isreal Justice Clark who lived in Nauvoo. I know that the Church is true and that the fullness of it is on the face of the earth today. That Joseph Smith was called as a prophet of God to restore to earth this fullness and that today we have a Prophet, Pres. Monson, who also talks with God and leads His church today. The Bible, Book of Mormon and Doctrine and Covenants are scripture and the way to let God talk to us through study and contemplation. I also know that God the Father lives, that Jesus Christ is His son and that He is my Savior. I know that the atonement is real and works for us in our daily lives if we but just use it.
Guy then bore his testimony of his calling into temple work. He had been a veil worker for many years serving first in the Seattle Temple, but finally Portland Oregon temple wanted all veil worksers to be set apart in our temple. So he arranged to get an interview with the Bishop and appropiate people for that calling; then set an appointment to go to the temple to be set apart. In his own words... As I was being interviewed in the temple, I was asked when I wanted to start serving. I answered that I didn't know you had to have specific times to be serving in the temmple, since I would only be working at the veil. He answered, "No you will be an ordiance worker." I had him note the form and that it was for a veil worker, of which he said, "Oh, we can take care of that!" And that was the story of how I started in about 2004, as an ordiance worker. This was a personal blessing at the time because it gave added strenght as I went weekly to the temple. We had been having some family hardship at the time and this really blessed my life in addition to serving in the temple. Over the years we had learned to love the temple and its workers and I am sure it will be the same as we go to Nauvoo and serve there. I know that God lives, that Jesus is the Christ and that the Book of Mormon is true. Going to the hub of where this church history was developed, I know that my testimony will be strengten even more. I am proud of our families and young children and their studying the scriptures, becasue I have been in their homes and have witnessed them studying and teaching the scriptures to their children, having family counsels, and holding family home evenings. Thanhyou for doing this as these are the things of lasting value that you can leave with your families and our example to serve a mission and leaving that example too. We have a prophet at the head of this church today, even Thomas S. Monson. I love the prophets and especially Joseph Smith and the restoration of the gospel in this the last dispensation. I love the opportuntiy to serve on a mission and be in Nauvoo where my forefathers had lived.
Grandpa HIll bore special witness that Nuavoo was a special place for the HIlls since the HIll line came down from Tronanto, Cananda after being converted to the gosple by missionies (comtempories of Parley P. Pratt). they sold the farm there in Cananda and joined the /saints in Nauvoo. He also sent us off with his blessings even though he had some health problems back home.
Grandma Hill also added her testimony that even though she would miss us, that she knew that was the right thing to do. She appreciated the joy we have brought to them, being active members of the the church, and even though there are some that need to come into activity, she continues to pray for them. She was gratiful of her recent trip where she was able to see her 24th greatgrandchild, baby Caleb. She would support us and knew that the sealing power are vital and necessary to keep families together forever.
It was hard that night to say goodbye to Patti Paxson. My very very longest most eternal friend. We have shared each others lives since our oldest daughters were in grade school. Our standing joke is that someday we will do lunch together. We have shared things that only closest sisters share thoughout their lives and know each others feelings and actions on probably any given experience. She is one of the Elect of the Lord serving in purity with everything she has to exalt herself and her family in the hereafter. No mom gives as much as she does to help to make that happen. I love her dearly and once again, carry her and everything she has taught me over the years into the mission field with me. She gave me this darling card.We pretty much will look like that one day!
On April 6 we left our sweet home and took off. Jennifer had spent the night with us and thanks for her sweet help in cleaning and locating Daddys lost keys we finally got on the road. We had hopes of seeing all of our children before we got to Nauvoo. Jen and Cindys families had come for dinner and the setting apart the night before. We had went out to lunch with Guys parents the day before that...now to see the rest of the tribe. We were excited to see Mike and Mandys new home. That would be our first stop. The day was beautiful for traveling and it seemed an easy days drive to Mikes. His home already feeled warm and inviting and I was amazed that they could get moved in so quickly. We spent a wonderful week there with them getting to know the area. We were able to go through the Twin Falls Temple, visit Shoshone Falls and take early morning walks with LeAnna. Heyburn is a wonderful slow paced place and we would move there in a heartbeat. Mike and Mandy are gonna be very happy there. We were especially thankful to be able to see them work with LeAnna to teach her to pray and to be obedient. Nothing is more wonderful than to see the Priesthood being used in his home. Grandpa was good enough to watch LeAnna while Mandy and I explored the shopping in the area.
We celebrated Easter and Calebs blessing at Marias on the 8th. we got there in time to attend church and see Caleb named and blessed. Hes such a good sweet natured little fellow. Maria had prepared a literal feast. Turkey, Ham, stuffed potatoes and potatoe salad. Coleslaw, green salad, oreo cookie salad, ambrosia and a parfait. Mike loved the parfait and we made it again a couple of days later back in Idaho. Everyone ate till they were very satisfied then we took the kids in the backyard to do an Easter egg hunt that Mandy had filled the eggs for. It was a sunny geourgous day and it was nice just to hang out and visit. Maria and Kyle and their little family are thriving. Kyle was working on remodeling the kitchen and Maria was still able to be a gracious hostess. Amazing kids. Guy and I returned to finish our visit at Mikes for a few days.
Guy Jr was still in Florida in the middle of a job transfer. He is now working for Layton Construction company. He will be in charge of completing the hospital site in Denver Colorado. It took about a month to get the clearnance on the contract before he could actually move his family. They visited Utah for Allisons sister Kellys wedding and visited the everglades while waiting. We tried to find a set time that we could visit with them but it was hard to do. Finally one night Guy called and arranged for Daddy to fly to Florida to help him drive a uhaul and an attatched car to Denver with him. They made the trip in 30 hours! Thats amazing...no sleep for 30 hours. You can imagine the prayers that Allison, I and the family said in their behalf during that trip! The Lord indeed listened to those prayers and answered them by keeping them as alert as He could. I hear there were a couple of times they drifted into the bumps on the road, or rather maybe the sides of the road...but over all they were kept safe. Daddy helped keep Guy awake by telling him about the Mark Hoffman book that we had been reading. After they arrived they went to look at one more place to possibly rent and then Guy Jr decided they would go with the place they had already found. They unloaded the truck that night and the next morning at 5 Guy Jr had daddy on the plane back to Utah.
While he was gone I took a trip alone to visit my Mothers only living sibling, My Aunt Venla. She lives in Idaho Falls. I learned alot form the visit and it was so good to see her. She is 84 years old now. I got to go to church with her and show her the book that I have made on the Mossmans that includes my mothers personal history and even some pictures that I have of Venla in that book. I think she was sad to see me go. I always shed a few tears on leaving her too. I miss my parents at this time in my life but know that they are up there rooting for me.
During our trip here the kids gave us a ton of little gifts to open along the way, and while visiting Missys they brought out one of the best gifts of all. They bought us scriptures with Elder and Sister Hill engraved on them and also priceless lamenated Testimonies of each of them. I cant begin to tell you how that made us feel or how blessed we feel to have such amazing thoughtful children. We will cherish these things forever. Maria and Kyle also gave us a gift to open in Ogallal, Nebraska...we had to watch to find that place...It was a set of missionary journals for our trail of hope while we are serving in Nauvoo. It was fun to open Mike and Mandys box of stamped envelopes for us to send them letters, and Cindys and Jens box of treat and letters to open ever hundred miles along the way. Melissa also gave us such a fun gift of sending us emails to open along the way. One of my favorite was her talking about trips we took with her as a child and she used one email to send us her singing the kids songs at bedtime. She sang "Poor little ragged girl" which is one of the songs that my mothers mother sang to her and my mom sang to me and I sang to my kids. Now my girls sing it to their children. Such a treasure!
When we left Mikes our car was loaded to the brim. We made it to Marias and unpacked. While Guy was gone I went through the stuff we had brought and weeded out a few bins of stuff. It helped...some. Guy and I got to attend the Bountiful Temple while we were there and also have a wonderful Family Home Evening with them where they taught the kids about our Mission and the kids bore their testimonies to us. I was especially touched by Brookies testimony about resurrection and Abbys testimony that we couldnt understand much of but she rambled on knowing clearly what she was saying. Riley has grown into a very sweet obedient young man and takes spiritual things very seriously. He gave his first alone talk in Primary the week that we arrrived her in Nauvoo and sent us a video clip of him practicing. He wrote it and gave it without help! Brookie also bore her testimony in Sacrament meeting for the first time at about the same time. There is a sweet peace that dwells in Maria and Kyles home. They are supportive of each others callings and activites. Again it was great to just feel their love and testimonies. It was interesting that at each childs home they all commented that we didnt stay long enough. Poor Missy I think got shortsheeted on her visit. She had a wedding to do on the day that we were visiting her, and Guy Jr decided to fly in for the night to say goodby too. It was so good to have them all together at the Chuck Wagon for lunch and then Guy Jr flew out again that night. He will never know how much that meant to me to have him come, dead tired and in the middle of his big move, to support us. He always makes that extra effort to take care of everyone around him. We had everyone that was in town for Mikes graduation over to Missys for a dinner the night before his graduation. Mandy brought the cake and we made little graduation hats to go on top of the cake for Mike as a surprise.
We spent that night at Sue Richards because we wanted to sleep in the morning that we were to leave for Nauvoo. We met with The Gibbs and Mike and Mandy in Springville for a late breakfast before Mike had to go up on campus to get ready for graduation. LeAnna was so tired from all the playing and visiting that she had done that week that she sat quietly on my lap and ate breakfast! We all met up in the Marriot Center to see Mike walk across the stage. He looked so good in his cap and gown. It was fun to go through that ceremony with him. The other kids all graduated but none of them were able to walk. I think they all expressed the fact that they wished they had but all of them were off moving on with jobs and lllife by time that the ceremony was taking place for them. I think Mike just kind of walked not only for himself but for all of his brothers and sisters. Guy and I realized too late what an honor walking really is. We are so proud of all of our kids and their pursuit of education. We should have celebrated with them more.
For some reason I only have videos of graduation, our stay at marias and Missys...they wont download.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteWow you guys were busy before you left! I am sad we didn't get to be there for everything, but it looks like it all went well. We love you guys and hope things are well in Nauvoo!
ReplyDelete